Sponsored swim at the Centre of the Universe
Four members of the Chiang Mai Branch of the Royal British Legion arranged a sponsored swim at the beautiful Centre of the Universe. Gill Dobson, Nancy Lindley, John Burnett each completed 100 laps (2.5km)
They hope to raise 40,000 baht for the Royal British Legion. For full details check out www.chiangmaicitynews.com
British Legion Sponsored Swim
Four members of the Chiang Mai Branch of the Royal British Legion arranged a sponsored swim at the beautiful Centre of the Universe. Gill Dobson, Nancy Lindley, John Burnett each completed 100 laps (2.5km) They hope to raise 40,000 baht for the Royal British Legion
Four members of the Chiang Mai Branch of the Royal British Legion arranged a sponsored swim at the beautiful Centre of the Universe [img src=http://trblchiangmai.org/wp-content/flagallery/british-legion-sponsored-swim/thumbs/thumbs_dscf17442.jpg]10sponsored swim
Four members of the Chiang Mai Branch of the Royal British Legion arranged a sponsored swim at the beautiful Centre of the Universe [img src=http://trblchiangmai.org/wp-content/flagallery/british-legion-sponsored-swim/thumbs/thumbs_dscf1748.jpg]00sponsored swim
Four members of the Chiang Mai Branch of the Royal British Legion arranged a sponsored swim at the beautiful Centre of the Universe [img src=http://trblchiangmai.org/wp-content/flagallery/british-legion-sponsored-swim/thumbs/thumbs_dscf1750.jpg]10sponsored swim
Four members of the Chiang Mai Branch of the Royal British Legion arranged a sponsored swim at the beautiful Centre of the Universe [img src=http://trblchiangmai.org/wp-content/flagallery/british-legion-sponsored-swim/thumbs/thumbs_dscf1755.jpg]10sponsored swim
Four members of the Chiang Mai Branch of the Royal British Legion arranged a sponsored swim at the beautiful Centre of the Universe [img src=http://trblchiangmai.org/wp-content/flagallery/british-legion-sponsored-swim/thumbs/thumbs_dscf1756.jpg]00sponsored swim
Four members of the Chiang Mai Branch of the Royal British Legion arranged a sponsored swim at the beautiful Centre of the Universe [img src=http://trblchiangmai.org/wp-content/flagallery/british-legion-sponsored-swim/thumbs/thumbs_dscf1760.jpg]00sponsored swim
Four members of the Chiang Mai Branch of the Royal British Legion arranged a sponsored swim at the beautiful Centre of the Universe [img src=http://trblchiangmai.org/wp-content/flagallery/british-legion-sponsored-swim/thumbs/thumbs_dscf1762.jpg]00sponsored swim
Four members of the Chiang Mai Branch of the Royal British Legion arranged a sponsored swim at the beautiful Centre of the Universe [img src=http://trblchiangmai.org/wp-content/flagallery/british-legion-sponsored-swim/thumbs/thumbs_dscf1765.jpg]00sponsored swim
Four members of the Chiang Mai Branch of the Royal British Legion arranged a sponsored swim at the beautiful Centre of the Universe
MINUTES.The Royal British Legion Sub Branch BR3265.
Branch General Meeting.
Wednesday 1st May 2013. Kamala’s Guesthouse. Chiang Mai.
Trevor Dobson. Chairman, Rex Baggaley, Vice Chairman, Gill Dobson,Treasurer, Major Ron Rae. Secretary, John Burnett. Membership Secretary,Tony Archer. Welfare Representative, Richard Prouse. Poppy Appeal Organiser, Bob Machin. Branch Steward. Members, Victor Hayes, Bob Elkins, Kevin Reilly, Nancy Lindley, Robert Lindley, Carol Archer, Jaa Sukpirom, Maurice Phelps, Ian Cunningham, Dennis Brown, Rob Kelly, John Irvine, Russell Barnes.
All stood while THE ACT OF REMEMBRANCE was read by Kevin Reilly.
1. Rex Baggaley. Vice Chairman opened the meeting and thanked all members for attending.
2.APOLOGIES were received from Colin Jarvis,Barrie & Lynn Constantine,Peter Walker and Mrs Luangtanjai.
3.Introduction of new members.The membership secretary informed the meeting there were no new members present.
4.Minutes of the Previous Meeting. These having been circulated beforehand it was proposed by the Secretary and seconded by Tony Archer that these be taken as read.There being no additions this was passed unanimously.
5.Matters Arising From Previous Meeting.
5.1.Fund Raising Events For the Year.
A. Sponsored Swim. Gill Dobson informed the meeting that this will take place on May 16th, Swimmers are Gill Dobson, Nancy Lindley, Ian Cunningham, John Burnett & Jaa Sukpirom. Over 90 pounds has been collected so far and sponsorship forms are available from the branch and online.
B. A quiz night will be held at Kamala’s on May 29th. Entry fee is 100 baht. Beer, Chips and sandwiches will be sponsored by Chiangmai Insurance.
C. The Summer Splash will be held on Saturday June 8th. The theme will be a Hawaiian Beach Party. The Vice Chairman informed the meeting he will donate a bottle of brandy for the occasion. More details will follow.
D.There will be a Ladies night at Perns in August Details will be announced when arrangements are complete.
E. A car Treasure hunt will take place on Sunday 29th Sept organised by Rex Baggaley in conjunction with Classic Cars of Lanna. This will start at 10am and be approx. 50kms out and back followed by a dinner at a selected restaurant. More details will be announced nearer the time.
F.The Poppy Dinner and 200 Club draw will be held in October possibly at the Meridian. Details have yet to be finalised.
G. Football cards and the accumulator will run on alternate social nights.
H. The Chairman showed samples of the proposed Polo shirts and logo. The colour will be sky blue with The logo embroidered on. A size chart will be sent out later. (sizes are European). The shirts(150 of)will be on sale at 250 baht each.
I. A Christmas Dinner will organized suggestions from the membership as to venue and content are asked for.
6. Chairmans/Vice Chairmans Report. We are now firmly in our new home Kamala’s and should continue to support it, our goal of 100 members by the end of the year still stands (see membership report). The Vice Chairman now has the asset register in digital form and is trialling it before going into hard record. More help is required from the membership to run the events taking place during the year to take the pressure off the committee members who are involved in organising these events, the old adage many hands make light work should be the order of the day.
7.Secretaries Report. The secretary reported that Nick Epton has been replaced by Kaleigh Mc Feeters as Oversees liason officer, although we are a sub branch we have direct contact with her in London and she will pass on all relevant information to the membership as she gets it
8.Treasurers Report. The Acc Balance now stands at 15 383 baht. All payments to Main Branch at Chon Buri have been made and there is nothing outstanding.
9.Welfare Report. Tony Archer reported that the FCO are changing rules about repatriating expats. He has a meeting with the UK Consul later this month and will give a full report when he has all information at his disposal.
10.Membership Report. There are now 75 paid up members with one in the pipeline.
11.Poppy Appeal Report. Richard reported that the dates will be 26th Oct to 10th Nov and that he will be distributing the collection boxes etc as usual. He has already received 2000 baht from Kevin Reilly from Saudi Arabia and that Kevin will take excess stock of shirts etc back to Saudi when he returns for sale there and the proceeds will come back to the sub Branch.
12.Stewards Report. Bob reported that although Kamala’s had changed meal timings this will not affect Legion nights, also we still require more memorabilia for the corner, he is also arranging for excess memorabilia to be brought up from Chon Buri to Chiangmai. He also received a request from the sub branch hard of hearing society for a microphone to be produced for the next meeting. He will endeavour to provide this when he has deciphered the hand signals with which this request was made.
13.The next Sub Branch Meeting will be on 7th August.
14. Kevin Reilly read the Kohima Epitaph and the meeting was closed at 9pm.
Major Ron Rae.TD. Secretary.TRBL Chiangmai Sub Branch BR3265.
Sub Branch General Meeting Wed 1st May
Greetings Dear Members Just to remind all that our Sub Branch General Meeting is next Wednesday 1st May at Kamala’s Guesthouse.Commencing at 7pm.Please ensure you sign the attendance sheet when you arrive so I know you are present.Kamala’s will put a special or two on the menu for members who feel hungry.Attached is the final Agenda for the meeting and the minutes of the last meeting in case anyone has not received them.Hope to see you there.
Yours Aye Maj.Ron Secretary
SUB BRANCH BR3625 GENERAL MEETING.1ST MAY 2013.
KAMALA’S GUESTHOUSE CHIANGMAI.
ACT OF REMEMBRANCE
1.Chairmans opening remarks.
3.Introduction of new members.(by membership secretary).
4.Minutes of previous meeting.(Sent out by Sec .Taken as read).
5.Matters arising from previous meeting.
5.1. Fundraising events for 2013.
A.Sponsored Swim May 16th
B.Quiz Night. May 30th
C.Summer Splash June 8th.(saturday).
D.Ladies Night at Perns August
E.Car Treasure Hunt Sept 29th.(Sunday).
F.Poppy Dinner with 200 club draw October
G.Accumulator & Football cards.
H.Design of Polo shirt.( show samples & Logo).
5.2.Amendments to Minutes of Sub Branch meeting 16-01-2013
6.Chairman’s Report./Vice Chairman’s Report.
11.Poppy Appeal Members Report
12. Date of next meeting.
13. Close.(Kohima Epitaph).
MINUTES. The Royal British Legion Sub Branch BR3625
2nd January 2013.Kamala’s Guesthouse. Chiang Mai.
PRESENT. Trevor Dobson. Chairman. Gill Dobson. Treasurer. Ron Rae. Secretary. John Burnett. Membership Secretary. Bob Machin. Branch Steward. Richard Prouse. Poppy Appeal Organiser. Rex Baggaley. Observer.
The Act of Remembrance was given by the Chairman.
New Years Honours List.
The Chairman informed the Committee that our President Graham MacDonald had been awarded the MBE for his services to the BCC Thailand and that our Secretary Bert Elson had been awarded the BEM for his services the British Community. The Secretary will send letters of congratulations from the sub branch on their well deserved awards.
1. The meeting opened at 6pm.
2. Apologies were received from Tony Archer due to health reasons.
3. Minutes of The Previous Meeting.These having been circulated and there being no additions were taken as read. Proposed by the Chairman, Seconded by the Secretary and passed unanimously.
4. Matters Arising from the Previous Meeting.
5. Resignation of the Vice Chairman Kari Sirelius
At a meeting with the Chairman and Secretary on 26th December 2012 the Vice Chairman tendered his resignation from the Committee due to family commitments making it difficult to carry out the duties.
His resignation has been accepted the committee thanks him for his past services to TRBL.
5.1.All matters relating to Poppy Golf will now be dealt with by Chon Buri. A letter of thanks has been delivered to Graham and Barbara at The Pub by the Secretary for their sponsorship of 5000 baht. Graham informed the Secretary that he will be willing to sponsor us again next year, Letters of thanks will also be sent to Pedr at the Old Bell and Frank Sethi for their sponsorship. A letter of thanks to the printer will be sent by Richard Prouse, and John Burnett will produce a letter of welcome to new and future members.
5.2. Poppy Golf. Will be discussed under item 14 Future Events.
6. Chairman’s Report. Although 2012 was a troubled year we are no worse off membership wise. We should look to increasing our membership to 100 in 2013 and make use of the free advertising offered by The Chiangmai Mail to promote the Legion.
7. Treasurers Report. See detailed account. To summarise the Christmas dinner made a profit of 6500 baht and no subsidy was required. The General Fund stands at 13,263 baht and the Veterans Fund at 27133 baht.
8. Membership Report. We currently have 70 paid up members. 24 cards of members not renewing have been returned to Chon Buri.
9. Secretaries Report. The Secretary reported that after 3 months in the job he was now nearly up to speed and had no problems with the job. He had visited Chon Buri in mid-December and met with the President, Chairman and Secretary there and was still in the process of studying the manual.
10. Welfare Report. The Chairman reported on behalf of Tony Archer that there are no current cases requiring assistance.
11. Duties of the Branch Steward. The Branch Steward is to be the liaison between the branch and our new home at Kamala’s, and to continue to organise social events for the membership as he has been doing. The Chairman thanked The Branch Steward for his efforts throughout 2012.
12. In future Remembrance Day is to be Non-Denominational, The Poppy Appeals Organiser and the Secretary will arrange to meet with the VFW on this subject before this year’s ceremony to decide the protocol to be followed. A vote of thanks was given to Richard Prouse for his sterling efforts in 2012.
13. Hong Kong Sponsorship. The Chairman has been offered sponsorship from clothing companies based in Hong Kong, The provision of TRBL Polo Shirts is agreed and will be finalised in the near future. Offers of other clothing are to be investigated to ensure that they do not conflict with current TRBL regulations.
14. Events for 2013. Summer Sun will be held again, and proposals for a Dinner Dance, Ladies Night, Anzac Day, and The Naga Fireball ceremony were put up for consideration, These will be dealt with at a future date.
15. A date for an official opening of our new home at Kamala’s Guesthouse will be set, probably on 20th March. (To be confirmed).
The meeting closed at 7.15PM.
Major Ron Rae. TD. Secretary Chiang Mai Sub Branch.
Classic Cars of Lanna fundraising Vehicular Treasure Hunt
This is to advise that Classic Cars of Lanna have undertaken to organise a fundraising Vehicular Treasure Hunt in support of TRBL.
The event will take place on Sunday, 29th September, commencing at 10 am & will be open to all 2, 3, 4 or more wheeled vehicles.
The Hunt will start from Bistro 1 in NIM City Daily and will be limited to members of TRBL and CCL.
It will involve a journey of around 25 kilometres each way and will conclude with a lunch and prize giving at a Resort Restaurant.
The organisation of this event will be undertaken by CCL who will underwrite any costs involved.
It is anticipated that a charge of 200 baht per vehicle will be made and the cost of lunch will be 300 baht per person.
For those members of RBL who do not have their own transport it is proposed to sell seats in Classic Cars at 100 baht each, this will include a return ride to NIM City The event will conclude at the resort, we expect this to be around 2.30 pm.
It is hoped that this will be featured on the CCL website in the near future,
please visit www.classiccarsoflanna.com and click on ‘Monthly Meetings’.
Hon Sec, Steering Group
Classic Cars of Lanna
TRBL Sponsored swim @ Centre of the Universe pool
On Thursday May 16th, @ 9.00a.m, there will be a sponsored swim at the Centre of the Universe pool to raise money for the RBL. The plan is to swim 2,5km (100 lengths of the 25m pool ).
Currently taking part are myself and Nancy Lindley.
1. If anyone else would like to join us, please let me know and I will provide a sponsorship form.(participants do not have to be RBL members)
2. I will be registering the swim on the Just Giving web site, so that anyone taking part can ask friends and family anywhere in the world to sponsor. Its a really simple process and I will send the link out in due course.
Any questions, let me know.
Tel 08717 28785 or email email@example.com
Just a reminder that the Chiang Mai Swim team- John Burnett, Jaa, Ian (Kamala), Nancy Lindley and myself will each be attempting to swim 2.5km at the Centre of the Universe pool next Thursday.
We have had a good response to requests for sponsorship, but even more would be great!!!
If you would like to sponsor an individual, or the team, you can do the following:
1. For an individual-send an email to Maj. Ron Rae, Secretary, who will forward your message to the appropriate person.
2. Come along to next Wednesdays social and give the money to Maj Ron or swimmer/team.
3 Call into Kamala’s any time and leave your money with Ian
4. Log onto our Just Giving page and donate using your credit/debit card-wherever in the world you are. We’ve had donations from Canada and UK and have over GBP 100 so far.
Here’s the link:
If you would like to join the swim team or have any questions-just let me know.
Tel. 08717 28785
Election Results The Royal British legion 2013
Thank you to those of you who have welcomed me into my new role. I will try my best to assist with all your queries but I would appreciate your patience initially while I learn the ropes!
My first announcement is good news. Following the recent elections, Terry Whittles has been elected as the Legion’s National Vice Chairman for a term of three years. He will succeed John Crisford, who has been elected unopposed to the position of National Chairman. Both will take up their offices after Annual Conference in May.
Elections to the Board of Trustees and the Membership Council have also taken place. The following have been elected to the Board of Trustees
· Neil Salisbury
· Bill Parkin
· David Whimpenny
The following have been elected to the Membership Council
· West Midlands – James Philip Wilson
· East Midlands – Edwin Stuart Allen
· Overseas – Rodney Alec Bedford
The full results of the votes can be found attached.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.
Membership Support Officer (Overseas)
The Royal British Legion